News :
Home » » AFL Draft to be held in Adelaide for first time in almost 20 years, thousands expected to attend

AFL Draft to be held in Adelaide for first time in almost 20 years, thousands expected to attend

The next AFL Draft will be held in Adelaide for the first time in almost 20 years.
This will be only the second time Adelaide has hosted the draft.

The first time was in 1997 and saw the drafting of AFL champions including Luke Power, Chad Cornes and Adam Goodes.

The draft will be held at the Adelaide Convention Centre on November 24, 2015.
The AFL will also stage supporting events in the days leading up to it, including the CEO's conference, media managers' conference, coaching clinics and NAB AFL Auskick clinic.

Tourism Minister Leon Bignell said along with the players vying for selection, about 350 AFL officials and executives, coaches, and AFL media would also be in Adelaide.
"The 2015 NAB Draft is not just for the players and the club but for fans as well," Mr Bignell said.
"I hope to see a couple of thousand attend the draft to see how their club performs and who the future stars of the sport will be."

Mr Bignell said Adelaide Oval was now recognised as one of the best stadiums in the country, and the venue played a key part in the city being chosen to host the draft.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said it was exciting to move the draft to Adelaide.
"The nature of the event allows us to review the location every few years and it is exciting that another city, and another market of fans, will be able to witness the NAB AFL Draft live," Mr McLachlan said.

"The AFL industry looks forward to descending on the great city of Adelaide in November when we welcome the next wave of talented footballers into the 18 clubs."
Last year's AFL Draft was held at the Gold Coast Convention Centre.


Share this post :