News :
Home » » All Blacks overpower Wallabies 34-17 in World Cup final to win back-to-back titles

All Blacks overpower Wallabies 34-17 in World Cup final to win back-to-back titles

IT was not to be for the Wallabies, as they went down to a rampaging All Blacks side 34-17 in a sell-out World Cup final at Twickenham.
As is expected in any major game, the final was not without its controversies, with referee Nigel Owens coming under fire for a number of dubious calls.
However, there was no denying New Zealand’s dominance, or the team’s place in history. This is how the world reacted to their successful defence of the Webb Ellis Cup.
DESPITE the obvious disappointment we could hear in the voice of Wallabies captain Stephen Moore, the skipper was all class and professionalism immediately after the match, as he praised the All Blacks.
“Its not about us tonight, it’s all about New Zealand,” Moore said.
“They really deserved to win. They have been the best team all tournament, so congratulations to them, they played really well.”
When pressed on how the losses of key starting players affected the Australian side, the captain shrugged off any notion the Wallabies were looking to lay blame in their defeat.
“No excuses for us tonight. It’s a World Cup final, so you deal with that stuff.
“What I am proud of is the effort we showed right through the 80 minutes. Sometimes you can come up against a better team, and that was us tonight, and they thoroughly deserve everything they get.
“At half-time we talked about getting ourselves back into the game, and I thought we did that. But as I said, that showed their class there at the end and we just weren’t good enough,” Moore said.

New Zealand too strong for Wallabies in final

Australia's cause took a double blow in the first half as workhorse Kane Douglas and playmaker Matt Giteau both had to leave the field through injury.
Douglas's afternoon was over after just 15 minutes when his leg twisted horribly under him after he rose for the ball.
Giteau, whose left-footed kicking added a vital element to the Wallabies' gameplan, was forced off after a head knock in the 25th minute.
Right from the start of the match the All Blacks had pushed the Wallabies right back into defensive mode, and though the men in gold managed to defend their line admirably in the early minutes, Pocock was eventually penalised in the ruck and Carter made no mistake with his kick to make it 3-0.
A series of quick turnovers kept New Zealand rolling forward, but a penalty against them in the scrum allowed Foley to even the scores 14 minutes in.
It was all New Zealand for the remainder of the half, with Carter nailing two more penalty kicks as Australia struggled to hold its line against wave after wave of attacks, which were frequently directed at the blind side of the ruck in order to negate the influence of Pocock.
Michael Hooper impressed with his defensive work, combining well with Pocock when the number eight did manage to get involved in the breakdown, but the Wallabies' efforts were blunted by repeated handling errors and a scrappy lineout.

Share this post :