News :
Home » » Wests Tigers are still a chance to make the NRL finals

Wests Tigers are still a chance to make the NRL finals

Wests Tigers are still a chance to make the NRL finals after beating the Warriors 36-24 in a thrilling clash at Mt Smart Stadium.
The Warriors led 18-12 at the break, but Tigers full-back Jordan Rankin made it 18-18 when he converted Josh Addo-Carr's powerful 56th-minute run-away try from the sideline.

Tuimoala Lolohea crossed after some superb lead-up work by Shaun Johnson and the hosts thought had another when Johnson scooted over shortly after but it was called back for an obstruction.
New Zealand fans would have been hopeful of a Warriors win as they carried a 24-18 lead into the final 10 minutes, but Sauaso Sue jogged over far too easily under the posts off a short ball in the 71st minute.
Then, in the 76th minute, five-eighth Mitchell Moses jinked his way through the defence and stretched out to touch down for a Tigers lead.
The result was almost confirmed but there was still time for more salt in the Warriors' wounds, as Manu Vatuvei let a bomb bounce in the final minute, allowing Kevin Naiqama to touch down off the bouncing ball.
The Tigers, on 26 competition points, will now be cheering for North Queensland to beat the eighth-placed Gold Coast Titans (27 points) in Townsville next Saturday, before taking on the on-fire Raiders at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

Referees still under microscope in round 25

As has been the case so often in 2016, the referees frequently took centre stage for the wrongs reasons during Sunday's clash.
After the half-time siren had sounded, the Warriors put the ball through the hands with no plan in place, ending with Solomone Kata diving over on the left side of the field.
It was awarded a try on the field, but the bunker found an obstruction on the right side when Tuimoala Lolohea ran behind one of his team-mates and the bunker said Tigers full-back Jordan Rankin was impeded.
Lolohea's pivotal second-half try also came after Vatuvei was deemed to have prevented a Tigers 40/20 kick, but replays showed his foot clearly on the sideline as he reached the ball.
Johnson's no try in the second 40 minutes was also controversial, with Tigers skipper Aaron Woods clearly feigning being impeded, but the bunker decided it was enough to deny the Warriors what could have been a season-defining four points.
They will play the Eels next Sunday at Mt Smart with both teams out of finals contention.

Share this post :