Latest News

Monday, October 30, 2017

Richmond player Nathan Broad suspended following Richmond photo scandal

RICHMOND premiership player Nathan Broad has been suspended for three games following the Tiger topless photo scandal.

Broad fronted the media at Punt Road oval on Monday morning to address the distribution of the photograph, which was taken in the hours after the club’s Grand Final win.
The woman had been told by Broad that the photo had been deleted, only for it to go viral online in the days after it was taken.
He was suspended for three games, starting from next season.
“I am deeply sorry for the heartache that I have caused this young woman and her family,” Broad said in a statement.
“It was never my intention to hurt her or her family.
“By sending the picture, I lied to her and broke her trust. This young woman deserved to have her privacy respected.
“To the media, the longer this story keeps running, the more suffering it will cause her and her family. I’m the one who deserves to be punished, not this woman. She does not deserve any more pain.
“To anybody thinking of sending this photo around, I urge you to stop and delete it. It’s only causing more hurt to those involved.
“I hope that what I have done will teach others that it is not acceptable to send these types of private images without permission.”
At the request of the woman, the police dropped the investigation last week but can re-open it at any time.
On Monday morning the woman’s lawyers, Maurice Blackburn, released the following statement:
“We can confirm that the woman knew the player prior to the 2017 grand final and believed there was a level of trust between them,” they said.
“She maintains that she insisted he delete the photo from his mobile phone as soon as it was taken, and that he assured her it had been.
“She was shocked and extremely confused when she saw the photo on social media the night after the grand final.
“She approached the player and football club for help to getting it removed from the internet, but it soon became apparent that the image had gone ‘viral’.
“Her motivation for approaching police was for assistance in getting the image deleted from wherever it had been uploaded, rather than pursuing a criminal investigation into the player’s conduct.
“The young woman’s decision not to proceed with the police investigation was motivated by her desire to protect her identity and avoid any further attention and distress.
“Her main focus has been protecting her privacy, welfare and dignity as she tries to come to terms with what has happened. The unauthorised distribution of her photograph and the subsequent attention it has received has had a devastating impact on the young woman’s wellbeing.
“She is desperate to maintain her anonymity as she tries to get on with her life as best she can.”