Latest News

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

QPR 2-2 Brentford: Hoops score twice in stoppage time to earn dramatic draw

QPR staged a remarkable stoppage-time comeback as they pegged Brentford back to draw 2-2 in the west London derby on Monday night.
Trailing to a Lasse Vibe double heading into four minutes of added time, there was little hope around Loftus Road until Matt Smith headed home from close range in the 93rd minute. Then, remarkably, Luke Freeman got on the end of a free-kick to bundle in another scrappy goal to earn QPR a point in a dramatic Sky Bet Championship clash.

Team news

Massimo Luongo returned for QPR in one of four changes, while Lasse Vibe started up front for Brentford in one of three.
After a largely uneventful first half, it was Brentford who took the lead on 52 minutes. Nico Yennaris was the provider as he picked out Vibe in the box, and the striker was given too much time to turn by Alex Baptiste before firing home his first goal of the season.
Just a couple of minutes later, Brentford could have had another as Yoann Barbet floated a fantastic ball in behind for Yennaris, but he could only steer his first-time volleyed effort just over the bar.
QPR were pushing hard for an equaliser and felt they had to big shouts for a penalty in double-quick time just after the hour. First, as the ball appeared to catch the arm of Andreas Bjelland when he was battling with substitute Smith, then seconds later as Freeman's shot appeared to strike the arm of John Egan. But the referee waved their protests away on both occasions.

Player ratings

QPR: Smithies (6), Cousins (5), Bapiste (5), Robinson (6), Bidwell (5), Mackie (5), Scowen (5), Luongo (6), Freeman (7), Washington (5), Sylla (6)

Subs: Smith (7), Wszolek (n/a), LuaLua (n/a)

Brentford: Bentley (7), Clarke (6), Egan (6), Bjelland (6), Barbet (6), Woods (7), Yennaris (7), Mokotjo (6), Jozefzoon (n/a), Canos (6), Vibe (8)

Subs: Watkins (6), Maupay (n/a), Sawyers (n/a)

Man of the match: Lasse Vibe
The decision looked like it would prove costly for QPR as Vibe struck again from close range after 81 minutes, and the home fans were streaming out in droves when the fourth official held up his board to show four minutes of added time.
Those that left would have regretted it, though, as Smith pulled one back before Freeman sent those that remained wild.

Man of the match - Lasse Vibe

Lasse Vibe hadn't scored a goal all season for Brentford before visiting Loftus Road on Monday night, and a ruthless second-half double from the striker would have been the difference between the two sides were it not for QPR's late comeback.

The managers

Ian Holloway: "We keep talking about character and fighting and they've done that and kept going. Half our fans have gone home, so I'd like to say to them: you should have stayed.
"Our boys need you. Why didn't you stay? Everyone who did, fantastic, well done and you deserve it too. Don't go home early, if you don't mind, stay there."
Dean Smith: "With two minutes to go we were comfortable. Ollie Watkins then got fouled in the middle of the pitch but the referee didn't give anything and they score.
"We then kick off again and give the ball away, Romaine Sawyers pulls out of a tackle and they get given a free-kick and score again. Yes, we've got to defend balls into our box better but officials have got to do better as well."