News :
Home » » Scott Selwood suffers ankle setback, in doubt for Geelong’s first games of 2018 AFL season

Scott Selwood suffers ankle setback, in doubt for Geelong’s first games of 2018 AFL season

GEELONG could be without one of its most important midfielders for the start of its 2018 campaign, with Scott Selwood in doubt for Round 1 after an injury setback.

Selwood will be sidelined for the next six to eight weeks after undergoing ankle surgery on Monday night.
The 28-year-old underwent an arthroscopy on his right ankle after experiencing some “pain and stiffness” upon his return to training earlier this month.
Cats football manager Simon Lloyd said all parties agreed that surgery was the best course of action.
“The decision for surgery was made as the club’s medical staff believe it will give Scott the best chance of missing minimal football going forward,” Lloyd said.
“Scott will now begin a rehab program with his recovery expected to take approximately six to eight weeks.”
Selwood played just 25 games across the 2014 and 2015 seasons due to issues with the same ankle.
It’s also not the first injury setback Selwood has suffered since crossing over from the West Coast Eagles ahead of the 2016 season.
The on-baller struggled with foot and ankle issues in his first season with the Cats before hamstring and toe injuries restricted him to 14 games in 2017.
If Selwood misses Geelong’s Round 1 clash against Melbourne on March 26, it’ll be the third straight year Selwood would’ve missed his club’s season-opener.

Share this post :